Nuts are one of the best foods to keep with you as a snack. They are shelf stable, so they require no refrigeration. They are also small, so a bag of nuts can easily be thrown into a gym bag or purse. Anytime you are caught out and about without food, a package of nuts can help you stay on track with your diet and keep you full. Here are the benefits of eating nuts and which nuts are best to eat for a healthy snack.
Is it okay to eat nuts?
Nuts are high in fat and calories so many people think they should stay away from them. In fact, nuts were considered a “bad for you” food for a long time. However, research has shown that they are an extremely nutritious and highly satisfying food. But you definitely need to limit your intake of nuts. Since they are so high in calories, you can easily overeat them and blow your calories goals out of the water. Always make sure you have measured your nuts or buy pre-packed snack packs to eat as a part of a low-calorie diet.
Benefits of Nuts
- Nuts are good for your heart because they help lower your bad cholesterol and triglycerides. This will lower your risk of developing heart disease which can lead to strokes and heart attacks.
- Nuts are full of antioxidants. Antioxidants help your body fight free radicals that can cause oxidative stress in your body. Oxidative stress affects you on the cellular level and can lead to many different diseases.
- Nuts contain many nutrients. They are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, Vitamin E, magnesium, iron, calcium and more. You can eat them knowing that you are filling your body with the best nutrients.
- Nuts are a low carb food. If you are looking to cut carbs, then nuts are a great snack to keep on hand. They are a great source of protein and fat. Just make sure you check nutritional facts before you consume. Some nuts have more carbs than others!
- Nuts are anti-inflammatory. If you suffer from any kind of chronic pain or inflammation, then adding nuts to your diet can help you significantly decrease pain. Nuts have been shown to decrease inflammation markers and help keep your body healthy.
What nuts are best?
Not all nuts are created equal. The best nuts to snack on are:
When buying nuts, make sure that they are unsalted and not roasted. You want them to be in their raw form. If they are covered in salt, sugar or chocolate then you will lose many of the health benefits. However, you can enjoy nuts that have been dusted with different seasonings to change up the flavor profile and help satisfy cravings.
Nuts are a great snack to keep with you. They are full of protein and fat which helps keep you full and will not raise your blood sugar. They are safe to keep with you through all types of temperatures as they will not melt or go bad. Just make sure you are eating a small amount since they are full of calories. So the next time you need a quick snack, reach for a pack of your favorite nuts!